Purpose of the Program
The Bridge & Falls Residency supports professional artists, emerging artists, and creative minds who wish to undertake a six-day, self-guided residency in Nestor Falls, Ontario and Sioux Narrows, Ontario.
The award includes:
- A day-use studio (On the Water) which can be accessed from a stationary dock, and within walking distance of the shops, stores, and amenities in Sioux Narrows
- A day-use studio (On the Rock) near the Travel Centre in Nestor Falls, Ontario
- To connect with nature and the great outdoors by exploring nature trails, day-use areas, and public beaches
- A $750 fee to support the cost of travel and meals
- A tiny sleeping bunkie is part of the residency and is available to the artist at no cost during the residency period. The tiny sleeping bunkie is rustic in nature and the artist will need to be prepared to “glamp” as part of their residency. We strongly encourage the artist to come prepared to camp with supplies for cooking food, for sleeping, and for the daily routine of showering, etc. Items that the artist will have to bring include but are not limited to: sleeping bags, pillows, cooking utensils, cookstove, pots n pans, bottled water, food stuff, shampoo, soap, toiletries, toothpaste, bug spray, bear horn, raingear, warm outerwear, bathing suits… The tiny sleeping bunkie will be on a campsite in Sioux Narrows Provincial Park.
- Afford professional and emerging artists the opportunity to develop their body of work.
- Provide an opportunity for artists/ creative minds, who are residents of Canada, United States of America, Mexico, United Kingdom, and continental Europe, to participate in a rural and remote residency in the communities of Sioux Narrows and Nestor Falls, Ontario.
- Encourage interactions between artists/ creative minds with the larger artistic and general community of Sioux Narrows-Nestor Falls in northwestern Ontario.
- Support artists/ creative minds who are interested in the environment, northwestern ecology and culture, natural exploration, etc. in accessing a unique geographic location.
Individuals may apply for projects related to work currently in progress and/ or for new work.
Selection is based on artistic merit, the potential impact of the residency on the applicant, and preparedness to undertake the residency. A panel of judges, representative of the communities of Sioux Narrows-Nestor Falls will consider all applications.
The deadline to submit an application is 11:59pm (CST) on February 18th. Late applications will not be considered. Please email your completed application and supporting materials to dlys[email protected]
The successful applicants will receive a notification by email, on or before February 24, 2020. All of the participating artists will be publically acknowledged on the Township of SNNF website.